Built as a debut commission by Munich architect Leo von Klenze, King Jérôme´s court theater was only in use briefly. Merely 20 years after it had been built, Johann Conrad Bromeis undertook the conversion of the theater into a ballroom building between 1828 and 1830 for Prince Elector Wilhelms II (r. 1821-1831). In contrast to the building´s neoclassical austerity on the outside, the magnificent ballroom interior is very impressive on account of its luxuriously decorated wall and ceiling painting.
Presently it can only be viewed in conjunction with events taking place in the ballroom.
(Source: Museumslandschaft Hessen Kassel)